Sunday, June 5, 2011

June 5th, 2011



June 5th, 2011

            Sitting in my bed at my new home stay in Cusco. I’m undoubtedly feeling the effects of Seroche now because I have a massive headache. Even this computer screen is very irritating right now, so as soon as I’m done blogging I’m going to try to fall back asleep.
            On another note, today is election day. The results should be very interesting.
            We arrived in Cusco today. We met at 7am at the hostel to load up the bus and make our way to the airport. Some latecomers, who caused a bit of anxiety since we had a plane to catch, but we ended up checking out bags, getting through security, and getting to our gate just in time. Shortly after our hour-long flight landed, we were already feeling the change in altitude, with some shortness of breath and lightheadedness rippling through the group. And, of course the first thing we do after exiting the airport is walk up a hill lugging our many suitcases to reach the bus that took us to Amouta Language school, where our new families were waiting for us.
            Just from what I saw during the 20 minute bus ride from the airport to Amouta, I knew I already loved Cusco. Gazing outside the window at the stone roads and the mountains that surround the city, I am excited that I have the next two weeks to explore Cusco. At Amouta we went over some basic information about the school and our classes, and from what I heard, I anticipate that my experience at Amouta will be on par with my experience at El Sol.
            When we arrived at Amouta, all the home stay parents were sitting in chairs waiting to greet us. This time around I’m living with Brielle and Kim.  Our host mom seems very nice and she has a sixteen year old son, however today we did not spend much time in detailed conversation because I needed to rests right away. There was an optional city tour we could go on at 4pm today, but since I’m not feeling so well, I’m laying low today and moving as little as possible. I have two weeks to explore Cusco, and there is not doubt that I plan too, so it’s best that I spend my day acclimating to keep from getting sick. Our host mom has been pumping us up with coca tea and it’s delicious. Brielle  got back from the tour and told me that Ollanta had beat Keiko in the election today, and she said they had seen some small celebratory riots in the streets after it was announced. Cusco isprimarily in favor of Ollanta. It is also interesting to note that in Peru, they candidates were publicized under their first names, not their last, which is strange coming from the USA.
            We just had a small dinner with our host mom, small to prevent further side effects of Seroche. Dinner was interesting… it seemed to be a bowl of cough syrup. Now, I’m about to lie in bed for awhile, hoping sleep comes soon so I am numbed of my throbbing head.

No comments:

Post a Comment