Friday, June 10, 2011

June 9th, 2011


June 9th, 2011

            Today my Amauta class did an activity similar to the activity we did in Ica, where we needed to converse with natives. So, today we paired up and went to the Plaza de Armas with a list of questions we had comprised in class and had to talk to at least three different people, using our questions as a starting point. Upon hearing we had to do this, I was a bit apprehensive because I remember feeling awkward the last time we did this interview style conversation in Ica. But, once we started I felt so much more at ease. I definitely felt the difference these past couple weeks in Peru have made in regards to my Spanish skills. I was much more confident to approach people and my mind works faster to put together sentences. By the second person we interviewed, I was not phased at all. In fact, in general, I am far more confident about my Spanish skills and I know I have improved since departing for Peru.
            After school a few of us went to an Israeli restaurant that promised to have amazing hummus. It most certainly did, and the falafel was outrageous as well. I’m fairly certain we will be returning to this same spot before our time in Cusco comes to an end.
            Following lunch we went to yet another museum. Our enthusiasm for museums in dwindling because the information has been so repetitive. Of course the pre-Incan civilizations are fascinating, but between class and all the tours, we have heard the same information about the Huari, Chavin, Caral, Paracas, and Mochica cultures, and seen enough pre-Incan ceramic to tide me over for a while. The most interesting part of this museum was probably the real bodies they had there, which were found in the customary fetal position.
            A lot of people had been going to the San Pedro market during classes to experience a real Peruvian market experience, but my class had not gone, and after hearing how cool it was, and seeing all the neat things people were buying, I have really been wanting to go. Yesterday Scott bought some chocolate from the market and I tried a piece, and it was literally unlike anything I have ever tasted. It was so pure. So, after the museum, we went to the market for a bit so I could check out this place. The market seemed endless, and the array of colors, sounds, and smells was a shock to the senses. You can purchase anything here, from a keychain to a recently deceased cow head. I of course was mesmerized by the fruit isles, with towers of familiar and unfamiliar fruits on either side of me. It was just beyond the meat isles, flooded with animal parts, even full bodies, and a distinct smell. I opted to only walk through this isle quickly, because it was a little too much for me, but fascinating nonetheless. We didn’t stay too long at San Pedro because we had to get home in time for dinner, but I definitely I going back.
            Tonight was also my first real experience at the discotecas. A bunch of us met up at a bar called Mushrooms to hang out for a bit before we went upstairs to the club Mama Africa. It was definitely fun, but I can’t hang like the rest of the crew can, and was getting a bit overwhelmed so I left around 1:30am. Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment